Muskets Secure Championship Shot

29/08/2018 9:11pm BST by Chris Chantrey

After a couple of weeks suffering at the mercy of the weather the Muskets finally managed to take the field in sunny Devon to face the Spitfires.  Exeter have been in fine form this season, going into this clash boasting an unbeaten record and one win away from securing their place in the championship game as the Southern Division winners.  The Muskets, unbeknownst at the time, were also only one win away from securing the Northern Division title after a couple of rain out games.

Having only lost by two runs in the reverse fixture earlier in the season the Muskets were confident of halting the Spitfires winning run and started the game well, with Kevin Snow getting the ball rolling with a lead of hit.  He was swiftly followed by Andres Rivas Bianco and Leroy Bailey to take an early 3-0 lead.  Andres then made his mark from the mound, allowing only one run in reply from the Spitfires in the bottom of the first.  The bottom of the order continued to apply pressure in the top of the second. Simon Keith, Alistair Hutton, Rob P, Scott Morse and Mark Cross ensured the Muskets took an early 6-1 lead.

The Spitfires only added two in response, with some neat plays in the field and brilliant pitching from Andres limiting Exeter to few chances.  The Muskets continued to attack with the bat, but failed to impact on the scoreboard, only adding one run in the next two innings.  The defence kept the Muskets in front, with a good tag play at second between stand in catcher Chris Chantrey and Rob.  Andres continued to pepper the strike zone and the Spitfires struggled to get good contact and when they did the field were there to support.

It was Andres that provided the catalyst in the Muskets break out inning, hitting a three run home run to centre field, to help add on another six runs in the top of the 6th. The Muskets had a 14-3 lead going into the bottom of the 6th, but gave up 4 to ensure the game would head to 9 innings.  Although it could have been worse the Muskets had it not be for two great picks at first from Leroy and a instinct play by Andres on the mound to snatch a line drive.  The hits continued for the Muskets, with Mark Walker making his debut and getting in the action, getting a hit and R.B.I at his first at bat.  The visitors tagged on another 7 runs in the last two innings and Leroy took the mound to close out the game.  He limited the Spitfires to 4 runs and ensured the Muskets took the victory with a 21-11 win.

The victory means the Muskets head to Plymouth on the 2nd of September to face off against the Spitfires again in the championship game.  After two fiercely contested games in the regular season it is sure to go to the wire, as both teams look to take home the trophy.